Sunday, November 2, 2008

Storming through Halloween

Photobucket
cred: Karl Lagerfield Spring 2009

I dressed as a tornado friday night. And for some reason still wasn't able to twist my way downtown in time to make the village halloween parade; but I definitely brought the storm to gramercy twirling and making wind sound effects at everyone who dare ask what I was and why there were barn yard animals and miniature cars dangling from my frock. I had the tornado from the film Twister more on my mind than that of the The Wizard of Oz, if you were wondering.

My motivation for an original costume always involves the parade, but for some reason the past two years I have missed it and that makes me really sad. So sad that I had to do brunch on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. It was my first time going to both of these lower east side brunch spots and I most definitely recommend them. Ok, here it is, my first "brunch review":


Esperanto
145 Avenue C (Northwest corner of 9th street)

On Saturday, after serious halloween celebrating/ tornado spinning the previous night, I was in serious need of an amazing breakfast. The first idea was an unlimited mimosa brunch, but the wait at Sunburnt Cow was an hour & a half and down the block was a cute place with outside seating and amazing looking food with only a 20 minute wait. Esperanto's brunch is only $10 including coffee and a choice of mimosa, bloody mary, or screwdriver. I had a mimosa (clearly) and the huevos rancheros. Everything was delicious, especially the home fries or as they called them 'home potatoes'....they had spicy seasoning and were perfectly crispy. I definitely recommend this place. I hope you like it, but if you don't I really wont feel that bad because its only $10 for food + a drink, and you cant beat that.

while you wait: Pick up a coffee at Ninth Street Espresso and wander into the beautifully maintained community park across the street


The Smith
55 Third Avenue (between 10th & 11th streets)

Quick Sunday breakfast at a diner turned into brunch at the Smith. Luckily for me my friend tricked me into thinking it was like a diner; I mean I guess she has only been to really amazing diners because if the smith can even be categorized as a diner then its a really F-ing good diner. If you chose a brunch item, it also includes a "morning" cocktail in the price. My friend and I both had to try the passion punch which was described as a passion fruit mojito. Delicious. I had the poached eggs potato waffle with spinach and caramelized onions. I am not even going to entertain the thought of explaining a potato waffle to you; You can figure that one out on your own.

while you wait: have a blood orange mimosa at the bar, be sure to over tip the extremely hansom bartender, he deserves it.

No comments: